Sunday 12 May 2013

Dear Mom :: 10 Thank Yous (List)

me & mum chillin' on a lazy Sunday evening.


Dear mother.

1. Thank you for asking that teacher who laughed at me on my first day of my new school 'What's the joke?' with a kind voice quick with silent and deadly venom, you showed me that ignorance in the face of disability or illness or whatever the sort is not to be tolerated no matter the station.

2. Thank you for giving freely the food in your home to those who took it greedily, you really did receive it back ten fold and passed on to me, eventually, the importance of sincere and loving giving.

3. Thank you for never giving up when you were young and times were so hard, you taught me that the blood in my veins trickles down from a long line of women who keep on moving forward, adversity got nothin' on us!

4. Thank you for being so wise you understood the things i never said, the pains i never voiced and thought you never knew, for understanding them so very well that when you swooped in to provide wisdom, i was wise enough myself, under your own coaching, to understand the words that came out of your mouth, to see your language and culture and my learning and seeking of culture meet in the middle, hold hands and join in mutual understand.

5. Thank you for laughing at my silly stupid jokes so hard till we rolled and fell and cried and our stomachs hurt and for sharing yours with me.

6. Thank you for staying up till two in the morning that time talking about the workings of the world and the people around us that night when i couldn't sleep so that when i got on the plane i couldn't stay awake and so i couldn't be scared.

7.  Thank you for acknowledging my ten fingers and ten toes when i was born more than anything else about me, it was a foundation from my entrance into this world that magnified itself in my life and taught me to always acknowledge first the things that are right with me before the things that are perceived as not, because of you i know that i am awesome and was so from the time i graced the stage of this world, sometimes it just takes a minute for people to recognize it.

8. Thank you for helping me feel and grow both as a beautiful and sexy woman of class and standard.

9. Thank you for praying for me, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

10. Thank you for listening to me explain why i am different.


Thank you for loving me with your actions when it most count.

4 comments

  1. Oh this is such a lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool:))

    Would you like to follow each other ? Please tell me if you first :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Lizelle. Hope your mother read it. While my mom and I are always at odds, I remember that she had such an impact on my life... I am inspired constantly by all the women out there who are great mothers and good daughters to try and have a better relationship with my mother. -Jess L

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Blog Design by The Blog Store