Thursday 17 January 2019

Sip and Paint Grenada Project Pet!



On December 23, 2018, I had the pleasure of attending the last Sip and Paint Grenada Project Pet event of the year 2018. Jurnee, a private concierge and travel agency that creates a tailor-made travel experience just for your visiting needs, organized this event. It was interesting to note, that it was the first of its kind here in Grenada. How could I not be excited to be a part of this? Humanitarianism, encouragement to lessen individual carbon footprints and fur babies being appreciated through the vehicle of art? I was here for it!

Briana R.Thorne, the founder, told me of the event and the company’s vision not just to service its customers but to give back. Jurnee donates to our Grenadian economy in a way that helps to build a more sustainable earth at large. How do they achieve it? They do it by encouraging the use of recyclable canvas bags. Jurnee takes it further as donations from this Sip and Paint Project Pet event are given to the local Services for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (GSPCA) which is an action that can literally help save the lives of animals in need. All of which is done while still managing to touch the hearts of pet owners with their individual creation of pet portraits, painted under the tutelage of a professional artist.

It was honestly a bit nerve wrecking. You see, as an Islander, I am not so much afraid of the boat as so much as I am of drowning. I am usually fine with boats and I think drowning is a perfectly logical thing to be afraid of to be fair. The trip via speedboat to the venue proved nothing to be afraid of thankfully. The luxurious and rustic Oasis floating bar was only a three-minute speedboat ride at most, over clear clean Caribbean Sea water.



I was surprised to find how calm and serene the whole trip there and even the venue was as I guess; you forget how silent an untouched bit of ocean must truly be. The silence was appropriately atmospheric though as smooth music ushered us into the bar. The view from the Oasis is well worth a boat trip. There are cliff rocks far enough away to be safe but close enough to be strikingly beautiful.


The white sails of so many local cruisers and small, privately owned sailing vessels lightly garnish the shoreline. Therefore, you are reminded that though you are privately situated you are not completely isolated, completely devoid of human rescue or connection if you were to suddenly need it.


It is an amazing, heart grasping privilege to be able to see my island of Grenada from this vantage point; as an offshore eye looking in on life. The Sip and Paint Grenada event had not even started yet and I was already deeply moved and calmed by it all.


The staff was friendly, ever checking in to ensure all guests had all the things they needed for both confidence and comfort. Easels with canvas were pre-laid out for us upon arrival. Alongside them were canvas bags, if that is your painting of choice as it was mine that day. Different paint brushes of varying sizes and vibrant paint color hues from aqua to brilliant saffron yellow. Each table was outfitted with a protective covering to keep the work area clean. There was water and clean up paper in the event of spills and paint brushing cleaning became a central focus. All of this conspired to keep our work environment tidy and functional.


Each table accommodated quite a few people. That day some had five, some had four, some three but I was alone because my neighbor seemed to have bailed. It worked out well I think since my shy inexperienced self had more room to work.

We set to painting soon after arrival with the artist Nahshon. He led us in a welcome and a placating speech that reminded us of the importance of self-satisfaction, as we set out to create a piece of art that brought us joy. This paired with his reassurance that he would be there with us every step of the way to make sure we did not completely fail at beauty (my worry not his exact words) and we were good to go.
 

He stayed true to his word and taught many quick and easy brush strokes, advising us on the change of paint application strategy when necessary. Still, Nahshon balanced this with stepping back enough so that the experience was a deeply individual one.

It was wonderful to step back into myself too, as we approached the end of a turbulent year. This event was anything but turbulent; it was a calm, easy evening on the water. We were encouraged to play and to create artistically. We were not rushed but coaxed into exploration and fearlessness on the canvas.


Many of my fellow patrons came in groups of friends and there was light happy chatter all around me. One lady even brought her dog, who proved very peaceful happy company both on the boat sharing my apprehension of the sea and at the venue appearing quiet and pensive.


As music softly lapped over my senses like the ocean waves caressing the dock outside, I felt my shoulders loosen and relax. Soft cool breeze and my own artwork graphed across a canvas bag was pure bliss. I would use it, for it would help animals in need and our world at large. Despite the challenges and sense of inferiority as other first time painters did a fantastic job, this event gave me a sense of resounding serenity.


At sunset, we stepped outside into the open air to take photos of our progress. My canvas bag doesn’t have my dog on it. He passed away recently but he helped me to see the world in a much happier way. I couldn’t bear the thought of carrying a photo of him around with me as we had him for so many years and I felt it would make me sad instead of happy. He brought me joy though; a long time ago I lost a pet to painful external circumstances and had not been able to look at pets of my own the same way for a very long time until he came along. Honestly, I ignored that dog Bobbie for an extensive time as a result of that trauma but he was resilient. He met me on my way home every night and he constantly threw himself at my feet for tummy rubs. I ignored him for years, leaving his loving to other family members but he never gave up on me. By the time he died, he completely won me over and I mean it when I tell you it took years.



It was because of my dog Bobbie that I could make peace with the notion of loving pets again. Now we have a cat that I opened my heart to and it is her I have painted on my canvas bag. Her with hearts in her eyes for the love I now let myself feel, for pets that have and will continue to come and go. Now, as I do my part to reduce my carbon footprint, small as it may be, I can remember and appreciate the way a pet can help and heal a person in a long-lasting way, whether you want them to or not.

Thank you to Sip and Paint Grenada and Jurnee for this uniquely personal experience, that helped me create and helps my nation through the vehicle of art. The experience and the product were beautiful in a way I will take with me for a long time. I hope you too can have a gratifying experience through a tailor-made adventure in the coming 2019.


Sip and Paint Grenada is an event first of its kind in Grenada and is a product of Jurnee, not a separate entity. Thank you again to the funder, Briana R.Thorne for the invitation to attend this beautiful experience and sponsoring this post. If you want to find out more feel free to check them out on facebook and instagram!

Peace. Love. Give Back

2 comments

  1. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your content seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Kudos
    BUY Womens Sneakers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post-Painterly Abstraction - The Concept Western American Palm Bay Painters done in 1950s was also called as Post-Painterly Abstraction. 'Post-Painterly Abstraction' is a popular term, the famous art critic Clement Greenberg created, as a fitting title for an art exhibition in the year 1964. The associated painters exploited the physical openness of design, in coherence with 'unmodulated' colors.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Blog Design by The Blog Store